A Queen Among Commoners

Still trying to find myself.....Where are you Beach???!!!

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Hypergraphia

I have finally defined my passion, I am a writer!
I know you think you know this but you don't understand the power that circulates through my body when I have a pen in my hand, or pencil, or chalk, or a rock, or a stick, or make up, or anything that makes a mark on a surface.
When I was little, I would write on the walls of our house "My name is Monique. I live in CKT with my grandmother. I am __ years old" over and over all over the house. These were my first lines when I had only a few words. I wrote all that I knew. I had to write.
There was a woman in church who would read poems and she wielded just as my power to sway as the preacher. I wanted that power! And I have it.
I am powerful beyond measure and writing is my light.
Do you understand?
Without friends, without being a college student, without being a Zeta, without wearing a mask of false confidence I am a writer, I am a poet, I am a thinker....
If I lose everything tomorrow that is used to externally define me I will still be a writer.
I think about writing all the time: on the bus, at clubs, during class, before I sleep, when I wake up in the morning.
Without paper I will write on walls, on my skin, or dig into cement.
Without ink I will write with mud, my blood, or on the imaginary chalkboard.
If I lose my hands I will write with my toes in the sand.
Do you understand?
I am a writer. This is my first truth....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home